1001 Water Street
1001 Water Street serves as a welcoming community hub to the new Water Street, Tampa neighborhood, the world’s first WELL Certified community. We designed the 20-story biophilic workplace to connect its occupants with nature and support the health and well-being of tenants and the wider community.
Nine double-height planted loggias are carved into the massing, offering direct access to nature for every workspace. An expansive rooftop terrace provides a landscaped oasis with views to Garrison Channel, Harbor Island and out to Hillsborough Bay. Anchored by four retail storefronts, the design activates the street, where the façade is inspired by bald cypress roots tapering up from the water. Pedestrians are protected from the sun and rain with tall marquees inspired by the industrial past of the city and planted to provide additional habitat and views to nature.
The façade of hand-cast concrete is shaped into rounded, smooth edges that soften the intense Florida sunlight and create a play of changing light and shadow throughout the day. Embossed with a pattern inspired by native mangrove and ficus aurea, the color of light beach sand evokes the tones of Florida’s limestone bedrock. Biomimetic custom perforated metal panels screen the louvers and back of house sections of the façade, adding visual interest and additional biomorphic forms and patterns.
Floor to ceiling windows ensure an abundance of natural light for every workplace, while glare is mitigated by the deep façade’s 30-inch solar shading. Denser grids to the east and west maximize shading from the early morning and evening light to improve energy performance and occupant comfort.
A landscaped public plaza designed in collaboration with Nelson Byrd Woltz Landscape Architects extends to the East of the building, creating a direct connection between the Garrison Channel and the park to the north of East Cumberland Avenue. Representing Florida’s native wetlands, floodplains, hardwood hammocks and upland landscapes, the plaza is woven together by a winding water channel and ends with a sculpture in the wetland by Jim Campbell.