378 West End Avenue
West End Collegiate Church, an anchor institution on the Upper West Side, was built in 1892 and traces its history to founding Dutch colonists in 1628. The Church sits in the West End Collegiate Historic District and was designated a New York City landmark in 1967. Continuing a legacy of careful stewardship of its history and resources, West End Collegiate will combine a new 58-unit residential development on the site of the former Collegiate School with the restored and rehabilitated 378 West End Avenue, built in 1915. Approved by landmarks, the design will prioritize high-performance design and connections to nature to promote health and well-being.
The design is inspired by the best of the neighborhood’s architectural history and blends finely-detailed masonry, generous windows and terraces created by the building’s setbacks. The structure will rise from a garden space along West End Avenue, commemorating the Healing Turtle Island reconciliation between Collegiate Churches and the Lenape who inhabited Manhattan at the time of European arrival. The native plantings will provide a visual base for a cascade of terraces. The building’s north and west elevations are treated with modern simplicity, while the south façade will feature warm brick and metalwork, reflecting the harmony between the church’s masonry and rose window pattern. The balance between the foreground of the new structure and background of the existing building will create a new setting for the landmarked church to be read as an architectural jewel.